Resolve conflicting accounts
You have two options to resolve conflicting accounts:
Create the username in G Suite and the next time they sign into a consumer product they will be asked to rename their account or change the account type. For example, if Jane has a conflicting account for your company, email@example.com, here are the options she would see when she signs into a consumer product:
- Change to an account with a Gmail address (firstname.lastname@example.org or another available gmail name)
- Change to an account with a different email address (uses her email@example.com address)
- Log-in with a temporary username Google provides (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: If your users choose the final option, they will be presented with the same options every time they log in until they choose a permanent solution. Also, the data in their personal accounts will remain safe and accessible to them with all three options.
- Ask your users to change their consumer account names before they are added to G Suite.
Users with conflicting Google Accounts can easily resolve their conflicts by renaming their personal Google Accounts, and the data in their personal accounts will remain safe and accessible to them. Here’s how a user can rename their personal Google Account:
- Step 1: Visit www.google.com/accounts and sign in with your personal Google Account
- Step 2: Click ‘Change email’ under ‘Personal Settings’
- Step 3: Enter a different email address where you can receive mail, enter your password, and click ‘Save email address’
- Step 4: Check your other email address and click the link in the verification message from Google to confirm your change
If your users don’t have different email addresses where they can receive mail, they can resolve the conflict by renaming their personal Google Accounts to @gmail.com addresses instead.
If your users have @gmail.com addresses and have added their G Suite addresses to those accounts as alternate addresses, they will need to remove the alternate addresses to resolve the conflict.
Important: All conflicting Google Accounts will need to be resolved. If a user doesn’t complete the steps outlined above, the user’s conflicting Google Account will automatically be renamed to the to a temporary username Google provides when the user’s G Suite account is created. The data in users’ personal accounts will remain safe and accessible to them.